Bioinformatics Team Leader
PIPA LLC is a technology company specializing in Bioinformatics and AI for life sciences. Our client roster includes Fortune 100 organizations, universities, and startups. At PIPA LLC we strive to develop solutions that make a positive impact. Chances are you have already used, tasted or experienced products we helped our clients build or advance. We are passionate about delivering services and applications that empower our clients to scale and innovate.
We are currently seeking a team lead in bioinformatics to join our Data Science and Bioinformatics team in our office in Davis, CA. In this role, your focus will be leading various bioinformatics projects focused on the analysis of omics data, and the development of large-scale bioinformatics pipelines as part of an enterprise-level system.
You’ll have access to resources and tools necessary to deliver best-in-class results for our clients, in a workplace that inspires collaboration and creativity. At PIPA LLC, we believe people are the most important asset for our success; efficiency and resourcefulness are highly valued. We offer competitive compensation packages based on qualifications and location.
- Lead the design and implementation of an enterprise-level system solution with automated integration pipelines and other computational ML/AI workflows to facilitate omics analysis as part of an enterprise-level system solution.
- Develop various automated bioinformatics pipelines to analyze biological data of any type, with specific focus on the microbiome (metagenome, 16S) and meta-transcriptome
- Work closely with the Software Engineering team to deliver state-of-the-art solutions that can handle large volume of data either locally or on the cloud.
- Participate in meetings with clients to determine their needs, work with our product/project managers to translate them into specifications and tasks.
- Install processes to keep a cross-functional, effective team that can deliver an enterprise-level bioinformatics system.
- Evaluate new technologies while keeping up to date with technological developments in relevant areas.
- Mentor, train, and develop team members.
- 7+ years of industry experience in a similar role.
- Proven experience in successfully leading bioinformatics projects and teams.
- Ph.D. or MS degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Computer Science or a related field. Prior research experience is a plus.
- Strong leadership skills in team building and project management and passionate about mentorship and career development for team members
- Strong organizational and communication skills, the ability to work cooperatively in a fast-paced environment, and the ability to foresee, identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Proficiency with current bioinformatics tools and databases for interpretation of omics sequencing data. Experience with microbiome data sets is a plus.
- Experience in building and testing automated multi-omics data analysis pipelines, especially for NGS and microbiome data.
- Experience in bioinformatics system design (compute, data, application layers) for data and compute-intensive applications.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (Python, R), Linux shell scripting and version control.
- Familiarity with High-Performance Computing and cloud computing systems.
- Excellent communication skills (English), and ability to produce excellent documentation, keep records and communicate information with other teams/clients.