FT - Senior MLT - Hematology and Transfusion Med
Posting # 2020-858146
Position: Senior Medical Laboratory Technologist – Hematology and Transfusion Medicine
Hours: Mainly day shifts including weekends/evenings (may be required to worknights based on operational needs)
Site: Milton (Georgetown and Oakville as required)
This is what you'll be doing:
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Hematology and Transfusion Medicine departments and oversees staff working in that area
- Participation in bench work (and blood collection if required)
- All duties associated with daily workload and the results of tests performed on patient specimens
- Provides strong Technical support, consultation, and interpretation in all aspects of departmental testing. Ensure changes to processes and/or methods are communicated to staff.
- Coordinates troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Investigation, development, recommendation, installationand training associated with new methods and new technology.
- Assists in the follow-up of non-conformities as required
- Development, updating and reviewing of the technical manuals
- Responsible for inventory control and management of supplies as it pertains to Hematology, Transfusion Medicine and other areas of the laboratory.
- Monitorsprocedures and consults with the OTMH and GH site to ensure consistency across all sites
- Strong knowledge of Hematology and Transfusion Medicine Standards, legislation and requirements
- Participates actively in continuing education and applies knowledge where applicable
- Maintains adequate knowledge of Chemistry equipment and reporting
- Must have skills to perform tests in other areas of the Core Lab
- Preparation of statistics as they relate to the discipline specific areas
- Responsible for the reporting of accurate and precise results and maintains established Quality Control programs. Must be capable of taking Independent action to correct results that are not in control.
- Participation in regional Hematology and Transfusion Medicine working groups
- Reports all issues and process gaps to Laboratory Manager and offers constructive solutions
- Maintains current knowledge of professional standards, legislation, accreditation requirements and established health and safety guidelines.
- Other duties as required by the Laboratory Manager, Technical Department Head and the Pathologists
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Member in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario.
- Recent experience of5 years in a "core lab" environment, including strong technical experience in Hematology and Transfusion Medicine.
- Experience with routine core lab automated instrumentation and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated knowledge of Laboratory Quality Management Systems, Quality Assurance procedures and Quality Control.
- Solution oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a collaborative member of a team.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must be physically able to do the job
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record
Date Posted: May 21, 2020
Internal applications due by: May 28, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke-free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.