Landfill District Manager
Landfill District Manager
Requisition Primary Location
Waste Connections of Canada, the leader in non-hazardous solid waste management in North America, is looking for a District Manager (DM) to lead the landfill operations at our Ridge Landfill located in Blenheim, ON. This Ridge is a critical and very significant asset for the Region. We are looking for a SAFETY inclined, energetic, autonomous and proactive Servant Leader capable of making and creating change and driving our core values.
Reporting to the Divisional Vice President (DVP), the Landfill District Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the landfill. The DM creates strategic landfill operational plans, forecasts, monitors, and reports financial results through the deployment of the Waste Connections of Canada operating model and metrics. The DM leads their team to achieve and exceed safety targets, grow sales, optimize working capital, manage processes and most of all, develop their people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Approve the layout and fill sequences of the landfill
- Develop and implement procedures at the landfill for personnel to operate in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner
- Develop a strategic operations plan to support growth strategies
- Develop annual business plan and budget targets
- Implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, labour, and material costs
- Adjust and monitor staffing requirements and costs adjustments to meet service level expectations and productivity targets
- Approve and monitor safety programs and incentives to meet targets
- Negotiate disposal and transportation costs (may need to engage with third party transfer station arrangements to optimize tons to landfills)
- Implement organization structure and succession plans designed to meet business plan and people objectives
- Provide training, coaching, objective setting and reviews of direct reports to optimize performance
- Negotiate Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) and ensure proper administration
- Review and approve District Controllers monthly forecasts and other reports required by corporate office
- Ensure appropriate plans in place to facilitate integration and to meet pro-forma targets
- Identify potential business partners, e.g. third party transfer stations and negotiate partnership/joint venture agreements to assist in meeting plan goals
- Oversee the landfill and gas system constructions, and other site structures (e.g., leachate)
- Participate in industry conferences, associations, and other networking venues as appropriate
- Develop relationships and liaise with key partners in municipal government e.g., mayor, waste division
- Five or more years of landfill management experience
- Prior management experience in heavy construction, and/or environmental field services
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering or Civil Engineering
- Excellent planning, strategy and analytical skills
- Highly developed leadership and entrepreneurial skills
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Proven track record in meeting business plan objectives
What’s In It for You?
You will be joining and serving in a team environment and colleagues who embrace a “work hard, play harder” culture. Our compensation package is competitive and comes with excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, RRSP plans. You’ll also be associating yourself with a company that likes to lead by example, through a strong presence in our local communities, charitable giving, sustainability initiatives and more.
Waste Connections is an equal opportunity employer.